Thursday 6 February 2014

Keeping the Empire State in Mind

Have you ever wanted to really sink your teeth into the Big Apple? I know I have! New York City is one of the most fascinating cities in the world and it is filled with countless surprises on every street corner.



To me, New York is one of those cities that no matter how long you spend there, you'll never fully learn the city's secrets. Keeping this in mind, I'm going to stick with a few basic things that every tourist should do in New York because it's sadly just not possible to do everything in one lifetime!

1. Central Park
If you've ever watched a movie or TV show based in New York then you'll definitely have heard of Central Park. It's exactly what it says on the tin; it is a gigantic park in the middle of the city. It covers 843 acres! It would take forever and a day to walk around so I would suggest going all around it by bicycle, there are even bike tours around the park if riding solo isn't your thing. Without a doubt you will hear guitar music at some point, which if you follow it will lead you to the Imagine Mosaic monument to John Lennon, who was a New Yorker. Bring a picnic and find yourself a spot of grass to sit down on and you'll never want to leave, it's such a beautiful park - just be careful not to get lost!

  (credits to centralpark.com for this picture)

2. Statue of Liberty
This one is a bit of an icon, I reckon. Everyone, including your mum's, sister's goldfish has heard about the monumental statue which can be seen from the city itself, despite it being out on Ellis Island. The only was to get out to it is by ferry but to be frank, it costs a fortune and it's always packed with people, it's a bit like being in a can of sardines. So to save yourself a lot of money, time and hassle, just hop on the Statan Island ferry. It goes right past the Statue of Liberty slow enough for you to take an abundance of photos, and best of all; it's free! It's a bit of a no-brainer if you ask me? Sure at least you haven't wasted any money if you don't enjoy it.

3. The Empire State Building
Let's face it, if we're going to go to New York, we're going to go to the tourist spots, sure they're the ones we can't go without seeing, and the Empire State Building is right up there too. The view from the 86th floor outdoor area is incredible. It's always thronged with people though so unless you want to fork out $45 for an express pass, you'll be queuing up with everyone else. If you really want to see the city though, for an extra $15 you can go up to the observation deck on the 102nd floor. The view from up there will leave you mind blow, the city will look so vast and spectacular that you'll never want to come down. 



4. Broadway
Ok, it's confession time; I am a huge theater addict. I love going to shows and I always catch myself singing and dancing along in my seat, so this blog post would be 100% impersonal if I don't at least mention a Broadway musical. For any theater performer, you know you've made it in your career if you make it to Broadway. I have been to countless shows over the years but without a moments hesitation,the one I would have to recommend you go to see is WICKED. It's the tale of how to Wicked Witch of the West, from The Wizard of Oz, became wicked. It's a breathtaking show and I guarantee you'll wish you were up on stage 'defying gravity' with Elphaba. If that doesn't sound like your sort of thing then, even though it's your immense loss, there are loads more shows to go to, and if I had my way; I'd go to them all!

5. Times Square
Times Square is one of those places where I can be completely genuine in saying; it has it all. From shopping to dining, accommodation to Broadway, I can guarantee you that there is no shortage of things for you to do, at any time of the day. Although, I would recommend going to the M&M's factory, sometimes as you're leaving they'll take a picture of you and it'll appear on one of the big light-up billboards outside of the shop. That's right, your face on a billboard in Times Square. What could be better? Perhaps 'Music Row' (48th Street) as the locals call it. What can I say? It's a center for music community in NYC and has been ever since the 1930's. There are countless food/makeup/fashion/music stores dotted around Time's Square, not to mention all the shows that are one. So in all fairness, what more could you ask for?

(credits to travelbrochures.org for this awesome picture!)

6. Ground Zero
The iconic site of the Twin Towers has been turned into a memorial and museum to commemorate those who lost their lives in the bombings of the World Trade Center back on September 11, 2001. The museum is located beneath the memorial park. The museum will display things such as artifacts from the World Trade Center and the 9/11 attacks. There will also be Interactive Exhibitions, Contemplative Areas and programs that will tell individual stories about the survivors experiences and eyewitness accounts. 

7. Grand Central Terminal
Yes, it is possible to tour a 100 year-old train depot and actually enjoy it! Don't believe me? Well every year thousands of people pass through Grand Central Terminal (not 'Station'). It's not just a busy train terminal, the place is also filled with shops and restaurants, you could pass hours there easily. Go to the Whispering Gallery to tell someone a secret; all you have to do is whisper into the wall at one end of the gallery and you'll be heard at the other end. The wonders of architecture, eh? And if it's sights you're looking for, just tilt your head backwards and stare at the ceiling, it'll blow your mind.

(credits to 
 http://content.time.com/time/travel/cityguide/article/0,31489,1843404_1843415_1845630,00.html for this photo)

8. Shake Shack
For some of the best milkshake's you'll ever have (I promise) you simply must go to Shake Shack. What started out as a roadside burger stand is now a famous milkshake shop which also sells some pretty great burgers too! I would recommend going here for a meal if you can, get an oreo milkshake for me? 

9. Bowery Ballroom
It's considered to be one of the best music spots in all of New York, need I say more? If you're a music lover then a trip to NYC isn't complete unless you've stopped off here, I mean it. It's a two-story venue and the acts are mainly up-and-coming indie/rock artists. All original, all live, all authentic. Talent. There's even a bar downstairs so you could really make a night out of it if you wanted to. 

New York is one of those cities where I've always dreamed of living and having a career but to be honest I think I'd become so distracted by all that the city has to offer that I'd completely forget to do any work, I'd go exploring every day. So go oiut and explore NYC, I dare you.

Sally x

No comments:

Post a Comment